Fourteen farmers, who were tilling a private land in Elchamus Ward in Baringo South, have been admitted to various hospitals after they consumed githeri suspected to have been poisoned.
Seven of the patients, who were critically ill, were taken to Kabarnet County Referral Hospital on Friday afternoon.
The other seven, who had less severe symptoms, were taken to Marigat Hospital, K24 Digital understands.
Passersby, who were heading to unspecified destinations at 11am Friday, found the 14 writhing in pain on the farm as they clutched their stomachs.
“Some were vomiting, others had severe diarrhoea,” a witness told K24 Digital.
“Sensing that the victims could lose their lives if urgent help did not come their way, we stopped a Red Cross van that was heading to other parts of Baringo to help flood victims,” said the informant.
The Red Cross vehicle took the 14 to the different mentioned hospitals.
It remains unclear how poison ended up in the farmers’ food.
The meal was prepared in the homestead of one of the affected victims.
Doctors at the two hospitals confirmed that the patients had been poisoned.
Police are yet to issue a formal statement on the matter.